The Institute of International Education (IIE) is pleased to announce the IIE PEER Travel Grants for Displaced Syrian Students. IIE PEER Travel Grants will provide Syrian students accepted into a degree program at an accredited higher education institution outside of their home country with critical funding to cover their travel expenses to their host country.
Administered as part of the IIE Platform for Education in Emergencies Response (PEER), IIE PEER will award travel grants of up to $2,000 to financially deserving Syrian students who are newly admitted to a higher education institution to continue their higher education pursuits.
The IIE PEER Travel Grants for Syrian Students include the following benefits:
- Travel Grant of up to $2,000 to cover travel expenses to host country, including flight tickets, visa expenses, and travel to visa appointments.
Please note, IIE will disburse the travel grants upon student arrival in host country. Students should have sufficient funds to cover these expenses until they receive reimbursement after their arrival in the host country. To receive funding, students will be required to submit proof of enrollment from their host institution and travel receipts.
- Applicants must be Syrian citizens or Palestinians with a Syrian Travel Document;
- Applicants must be admitted into an accredited higher education institution to complete a degree program;
- If your university admission is currently pending, you will need to attach confirmation(s) of your university application(s) to this grant application. All IIE PEER Travel Grant recipients will be required to submit their university admission letter as well as proof of enrollment prior to the disbursement of the grant.
- Applicants must start their studies in fall 2018;
- Travel grants are open to undergraduate students "Bachelor", graduate students "Master", and students seeking a Doctoral degree "PhD";
- Applicants from all academic fields are eligible to apply for IIE PEER Travel Grants.
- Clear academic, professional, and personal goals;
- Civic engagement and desire to help rebuild Syria in the future.
How to Apply
Students interested in applying for an IIE PEER Travel Grant will need to complete an online application. Once submitted, you cannot change your entry. Make sure to read all requirements and questions before completing the application. We recommend you have any available supporting documents uploaded to your computer before starting the application. Please do not submit multiple applications as only the first submission will be considered.
- A copy of your Syrian passport or Syrian travel document.
- Your most recent diploma or certificate. Unofficial documents will be accepted but are not preferred.
- If you have received university admission, a copy of your admission letter.
- If your university admission is pending, confirmation(s) of your university application(s) in a single PDF format.
- Your university's academic calendar. If your admission is pending (to one or more university), please combine all academic calendars in a single PDF format.
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or colleague.
The deadline to submit the online application is Friday, June 22, 2018, 5:00 PM EST. Please note that incomplete or incorrectly completed applications will be considered ineligible at the time of the application deadline.
The online application is not a guarantee of being awarded a travel grant. Please note, IIE will disburse travel grants upon student arrival in host country. To receive funding, students will be required to submit proof of enrollment from their host institution and travel receipts.
To begin your application, please click here. Please note that once you begin your application you cannot save it. Please have all your documents ready once you begin.
For more information on how to apply, watch the following webinar held by the IIE PEER team:
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.