Only an estimated 1% of the 65 million displaced persons have access to higher education. Considering this great need, IIE launched the Platform for Education in Emergencies Response (IIE PEER) in March 2017. IIE PEER is a mobile-ready, low-bandwidth database which houses tertiary and non-degree opportunities for refugee and displaced students. Since its launch, IIE PEER has provided Syrian displaced students with reliable and up-to-date information on educational opportunities in a centralized location. We are pleased to announce that on May 28, IIE PEER will expand its services to other refugee and displaced student populations. Each week, IIE PEER will release articles detailing the higher education circumstances for those populations, feature educational opportunities, and share the work done by other organizations in these regions. The featured countries will be: Colombia, Afghanistan, Iraq, South Sudan, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Somalia, Nigeria, Ukraine, Yemen.
IIE President and CEO, Dr. Allan E. Goodman, speaks more on the need of increased higher education services for displaced students and IIE PEER's expansion in his article "If Not Now, Then When".
To receive more information on the expansion, watch the IIE PEER Facebook Live event where Nele Feldmann and Sixtine Berquist shared details about IIE's Student Emergency Initiatives and the IIE PEER expansion.
To stay engaged and participate in the weekly feature articles starting May 28, follow IIE PEER’s LinkedIn Page.
- Colombian Reintegration Through Education
- Education in Times of War: How Decades of Conflict Impacted Afghanistan's Higher Education System
- Security Challenges in Iraq Threaten Education Pursuits
- An Unmet Need: Higher Education in South Sudan
- Sudanese Education Crisis Rooted in Civil War
- The Forgotten Refugee Crisis in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (La version Française)
- Hope in Rebuilding Efforts: The Somali Higher Education System
- Nigerian Higher Education Entrenched in the Aftermath of Colonization
- The Barriers Facing Ukrainian Tertiary Education
- Yemen: Education Caught in the Crossfire of War
If you have any questions, please email IIE PEER at firstname.lastname@example.org.